Spam Bots or Ghost Spam are junk referrers that can cause serious impact to our data in Google Analytics. Examples of ghost spams are share-buttons.xyz or traffic2cash.xyz. It does not visit your website at all, but yet sends fake data to Google Analytics. So you may see these ghost referrers at 100% bounce rates, with zero time spent per Average Session.
The objectives of the spammer are mainly: to gain your attention (to visit the page), or make you aware of the product, and trying to do a sale. Typing “share-buttons.xyz” onto my chrome address bar re-directed me to sharebutton.to. If you are curious and want to visit some of your suspicious looking referrers, do remember to take precaution and have your anti-virus, malware, or firewall in place.
Creating the Filters in Google Analytics
To stop spam bots or crawlers from appearing in our Google Analytics reports, we need to create the necessary filters. It is advisable that you maintain a copy of View that is unfiltered, and in it’s most original form, so that you can fall back to that View when you need it.
To duplicate your View for backup, you can do a quick reference here.
Ok let’s begin to create the Filter:
- First, click on “Admin” located at the top navigation bar
- next you will see 3 columns in Admin page: Account, Property & View. From the View column, choose the report that you want, then click on Filters.
- click on the button +ADD FILTER
- enter a Filter Name that you can identify easily
- for Filter Type, choose Custom
- click on the radio button “Exclude”, and choose the Filter Field as Campaign Source
- for Filter Pattern, copy and paste this in
share-buttons.xyz | traffic2cash.xyz
- leave the Case Sensitive box unchecked
Fighting spam is a never ending battle, so we need to be proactive and be taking preemptive measures ahead of them.
Latest posts by lincoln (see all)
- Twitter Search Operators for Geeks – Change the Way You Search - April 21, 2016
- How to Auto Publish from Instagram to WordPress Using Instagrate - April 19, 2016
- 20 Best Ways to Use Twitter Advanced Search to Find Leads - April 17, 2016