Google is monster when it comes to the number of users performing searches online. But let’s not forget about Bing which is holding a market share of 15.67%, therefore we still need to put in effort to make sure that our content can be properly crawled by Bing and getting indexed. When you submit sitemaps to Bing, you help to make the search engine see your links, identify your website structure, and crawl your content more effectively.
There are 3 ways to submit sitemaps to Bing:
- By indicating the sitemap location in your robots.txt file
- By pinging Bing using a HTTP request
- Using Bing Webmaster Tools account.
To make it easy and simple, I’ll be sharing how to submit your sitemap using Bing Webmaster Tool.
Before you start, here are the requirements and what you need to know:
- Get ready your sitemap so that you can update Bing.
- Sitemap indexes are supported.
- Use third party software to create the sitemap if you need to.
- Formats supported are XML, RSS 2.0, Atom 0.3, Atom 1.0 and text files.
How to Use Bing Webmaster Tool to Submit Sitemaps
First login to your account and choose the website that you want to add the sitemap for.
Then from the left-hand side of the screen, go to Dashboard > Configure My Site > Sitemaps.
After which you will be prompt to enter your sitemap location (including the filename). Provide the details and hit the Submit button. Usually it’s named as sitemap.xml or sitemap.txt, depending on the format that you are using.
The processing of sitemap takes time, therefore don’t expect it to be completed instantaneously. The initial status is “Pending”. It takes from few hours to couple of days max, before it shows as “Success” under the Status column once Bing processed it successfully. If you encounter any errors or issues, no worries, just resubmit the sitemap again.
That’s all the steps required to submit a sitemap to update Bing on your awesome website!
If you have not submitted your sitemap to Google yet, don’t delay, do it now.
For WordPress webmasters, choose one out these best plugins to manage your sitemaps.
Latest posts by lincoln (see all)
- Twitter Search Operators for Geeks – Change the Way You Search - April 21, 2016
- How to Auto Publish from Instagram to WordPress Using Instagrate - April 19, 2016
- 20 Best Ways to Use Twitter Advanced Search to Find Leads - April 17, 2016